Thursday, March 09, 2006

One man's trash is another man's treasure

As you know, we have been going through all of our stuff to get ready for the move. Well, our "trash" section of our basement was starting to get out of hand, so we rented a dumpster. They delivered it Saturday afternoon. We filled it up with all kinds of stuff Sunday. It was mostly full of the kind of junk that only a teacher would collect, but we also had 2 particle board shelves (from our single days), a couple of box fans, some plastic chairs, a small bench, an old computer table, a bag of fertilizer, a wheelbarrow that a neighbor put in there, and a couple of used dog toys. And then came Monday... It started with Joey going to get the newspaper. When he opened the door he noticed our very weird neighbor digging around in the dumpster. Joey decided to hang back and let him rummage away. After all of his efforts, he walked away with only the bench. Then we ran to Kohl's for a little while. When we got back, we noticed that the plastic chairs were missing. (I looked on my neighbor's back deck, but they weren't on there.) Later that afternoon I was watching TV and I heard this noise in front of my house. I looked out the window and I saw these khaki clad legs sticking up from the dumpster. There was some guy (nicely dressed too!) leaning over into the dumpster pulling out stuff. He loaded the 2 shelves, box fans, computer table and wheelbarrow (with a broken wheel) into his very nice truck and took off. I laughed about it and then went back to watching Oprah. About an hour later, I hear rummaging again. I look out and THE SAME GUY is back for seconds!!! This time he took the fertilizer, a couple of hanging planters and Piper's soccer ball! Now our dumpster is pretty much empty. Oddly enough no one wanted my collection of 1960's film strips on teaching weather, grammar, and hygiene to first graders. We should have done like Elmo MacElroy on Formula 51 and just put all of our junk in our front yard with a sign reading "Free Stuff" (I know... that's not EXACTLY what his sign said, but we have to keep it clean, people!) Oh! And just to update you... We were driving through the neighborhood Wednesday and I saw khaki man's truck. His garage was up and you wouldn't believe what all I saw! It's one thing to clean out your neighbors dumpster, but for goodness sake, man, close your garage and hide the evidence!!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home